Pathogen: Filarial worm (Wucheraria bancrofti)
Mode of transmission: Bites of mosquitoes - Aedes and Culex
- Collection of endothellial cells and metabolites in the wall of lymph vessels.
- Swelling takes place in certain parts of the body like legs, breasts, and scrotum.
- Swelling of legs which appear as legs of elephant, so this disease is also called elephantiasis.
Prevention and cure
- Mesh doors and windows in the house to check the entry of mosquitoes.
- The water collected in tanks or other articles should be properly covered.
- Sprinkling of kerosene in ditches.
- Drugs may be administered.