Plants are multicellular, eukaryotic, photosynthetic autotrophs rarely heterotrophs having cellulosic cell walls. All are embryophytes. Kingdom Plantae is classified into the following divisions:
- Bryophyta: Amphibians of plant kingdom, non-vascular.
- Pteridophyta: True root, stem and leaves, vascular tissue present.
- Spermatophyta: Seed producing, vascular tissues present.
Spermatophyta are further divided into:
Gymnospermae: naked seeded plants. Seeds not enclosed in an ovary.
Angiospermae: seeds enclosed in the ovary wall. They are divided into:
- Dicotyledons: embryo with two cotyledons.
- Monocotyledons: Single cotyledon in the embryo.