Uses of Metals and Non-metals
Metals and non-metals are put to many uses which are based upon their properties.
Uses of Metals
- Many metals like iron, copper and aluminium are used to make containers.
- Metals like copper, aluminium, iron and stainless steel are used to make utensils and fry pans.
- Ductile metals like copper and aluminium are used for making electrical wires.
- Steel ropes are used in cranes to lift heavy objects in making bridges.
- Iron and steel are used to make machines.
- Zinc, lead, mercury, lithium are used to make cells and batteries.
- Malleable metals like iron and aluminium are used to make sheets which are used for various construction purposes.
- Gold, silver and platinum metals are used to make jewellery due to their luster, high malleability and inert nature.
- Alloys of different metals and non-metals are used for various purposes. For example, Stainless steel for making utensils.
Uses of Non-Metals
- Hydrogen is used in manufacturing of ammonia gas which is further used in the manufacturing of urea (fertilizer).
- Hydrogen is a constituent of many industrial fuels like water gas (CO +H2) and coal gas (H2 + CH4).
- Silicon is used in making transistors, chips for computers and photovoltaic cells.
- Silicon is used in steel industry to deoxidize steel and it produces high quality corrosion resistant steel.
- Most of the phosphorous is used for making phosphoric acid H3PO4 which is used in the manufacturing of phosphate fertilizers.
- White phosphorous as (P4S3) is used in the match industry.
- Phosphates are added to the detergents as they help in the removal of dirt from soiled cloths.
- Sulphur is used in agriculture to control fungus and pests.
- Sulphur is used in the manufacturing of gun powder which is an intimate mixture of sulphur, charcoal and potassium nitrate.
- Most of sulphur is converted into sulphuric acid which is called the king of chemicals and is used to make variety of other chemicals.