The Indian Army is the third largest army in the world and is regarded as one of the strongest armies in the world. Indian Army has approximately 11 Lakh men and women in its ranks. The Army headquarters is located in New Delhi.
As Senapathy was the head of the King's army, similarly modern armies have a senapathy. He is called the Chief of the Army Staff who wears the rank of a General.
Indian Army Day is celebrated with pomp and show every year on the 15th of January in the National Capital, New Delhi in the form of parades and other military shows. This was the day when Lieutenant General KM Cariappa took over as the first Commander in Chief of independent India in the year 1948. The day is marked as a day to salute the brave soldiers who laid down their lives for the protection of the country.
The motto of Indian Army is: Service Before Self
Indian Army is mandated to safeguard national interests from external aggression, threats and internal subversion. This means that our border must be protected against invaders; take action against insurgencies happening inside India, assist civil population during natural calamities such as floods or earthquakes.
The role can be divided into Primary and Secondary roles. The primary role of Indian army is to ensure national security and safeguard sovereignty, territorial integrity and unity of India. The secondary roles include providing humanitarian support and aid to civil authority during calamities and natural disasters.
Role of Indian Army
- Guard our Borders - Protect nation against invaders
- Protect civilians and government from insurgents
- Assist Civil administration during natural calamity and disasters
Tasks of Indian Army
Role of army can be explained as to what actions they are expected to perform. These tasks are:
- Fighting a war to meet external aggression.
- Internal security duty against internal threats.
- Force projection, taking part in army exercises with troops of friendly foreign countries, etc.
- Peace keeping operations and military assistance to friendly foreign countries. Our Army is deployed in UN missions in Somalia, Congo, etc.
- Render humanitarian assistance, disaster relief and aid to civil authorities.