The name comes from the Sanskrit words viparita, ‘inverted’ or ‘reversed’, and kriya, ‘a particular type of practice’.
Sthiti: Supine Posture
- Lie on the back. The arms are straight, beside the body.
- Inhaling bend the knees and raise the legs and buttocks.
- Bring the hands under the hips to support the buttocks.
- Keep Elbows on the floor.
- Straighten the legs vertically upwards. Relax the muscles of the feet, legs and hips.
- Breathing normally, remain in this position as long as comfortable.
- Exhale, bend the knees towards the forehead, slowly lower the buttocks and legs, and return to the starting position.
- Relieves stress
- Relieves knee pain
- Provides deep relaxation