The actual skin type is determined by the genes, i.e. you are born with it. However, the health and beauty of your skin later depends on what you eat and how you take care of it. The skin type of each and every person is different.
As a beauty expert, your first responsibility is to identify your client’s skin type. You must be thinking why is it important? Because different types of skin require particular kind of care to keep it healthy and beautiful. The four skin types used in the beauty industry are:
1. Normal skin
- The pore size is small.
- The moisture content is good.
- The skin texture is even.
- The color is healthy, skin has no pigmentation or blemishes.
- The skin feels warm to touch.
2. Dry skin
- The pore size is small or tight.
- The moisture content is poor.
- The skin texture is coarse.
- Premature ageing is common; wrinkles can be seen around eyes, nose, mouth and neck.
- Skin can be sensitive with patches of flaking skin.
- Freckles and unven pigmentation can be seen in this skin type.
3. Greasy or Oily skin
- The pores are enlarged.
- The moisture content is high.
- The skin is coarse and thick.
- Certain disorders like pimple, acne, comedones, milia etc. may appear on oily skin type.
- The skin is generally having uneven pigmentation.
4. Combination skin
- The pores on T-zone are enlarged while on cheeks they are small to medium.
- The moisture content is high in the oily area and poor in dry area.
- There is uneven pigmentation.
- There may be blemishes on T-zone and broken capillaries on dry area.