1. List causes of popular resistance movements?
The four causes of popular resistance movements were: (a) Exploitation by the British (b) High revenue rates on the peasants (c) Compulsory growing of commercial and cash crops (d) Interference in the religious practices of the people by the British.
2. Explain the following terms: (a) Faqirs (b) Mahajan (c) Mappilas
Faqirs were a group of wandering Muslim religious mendicants.
Mahajan was the term used for moneylenders.
Mappilas were the Muslim cultivating tenants, landless laborers and fishermen of Malabar region.
3. List three groups involved in the exploitation of the Indian peasantry?
The three groups of exploiters were: (a) Officials of British Government (b) Landlord (c) Money lender
4. List grievances of the Indian sepoys against the colonial rulers?
5. Name important leaders of the Revolt of 1857?
Rani Laxmi Bai, Tantia Tope, Begum Hazrat Mahal, Nana Saheb, Kunwar Singh of Arrah.
6. When and how was the East India Company’s rule abolished?
The East India Company’s rule was abolished in 1858 through a declaration of the Queen’s Proclamation by the British Parliament.
7. Enlist major causes of the failure of the Revolt of 1857?
The major causes of the failure of the Revolt of 1857 were: